Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spago

My franchising law class is SO awkward. Awkwardness.*


Spago

46 Customs St East, Auckland CBD


My friend and I (lets call him "Rapper T" - his words, not mine) went to Spago for lunch today, located right next to the General Store in the city. The decision to go to Spago was based on a food review that was written in the New Zealand Herald about a month ago, in addition to a sudden craving for Italian food (a craving that has lasted for days and days). Spago is open everyday from 11am, yet it was relatively empty once we arrived after quarter past twelve... instantly worrying Rapper T. Because it was relatively empty, service was superb. Waiter was extremely attentive - always refilling our water (but one would hope that such service would be retained if there were more customers at that time).


The name of each dish on the menu is listed in Italian, followed with an description of the dish in good plain ole' English. As a starter, Rapper T and I shared a Garlic + Reggiano Pizza Bread (aka Garlic + Parmesan Pizza Bread, $7). I was really hungry and had initially forgotten to take a photo until Rapper T told me to whip out the camera (so I did...pizza bread minus two slices). Rapper T's initial thought was that the pizza bread was light yet salty, but that is more due to the parmesan reggiano that was finely grated on top. I was expecting the base to be a bit more crustier (is that even a word?) than it was, but I still enjoyed it. I've had better though -- Mecca's Garlic Bread springs to mind.....mmmmm.



My friend and I both chose pasta dishes. I ordered the fettuccine with fresh egg carbonara, pancetta, mushrooms and parmesan (entree size $17, main $24) based on the recommendations the waiter gave (following my demand for mushrooms). Rapper T ordered the pappardelle with organic pork belly, spicy sausage, and tomato (entree size $18, main $25). I ordered the entree size, he ordered the main.


The carbonara was a traditional carbonara, which means that no cream was added to the sauce. It was also refreshing to not see pasta drenched in sauce! The fresh egg yolk on top of the fettuccine added a really nice rich flavour to the dish that happened to cut through the saltiness of the pancetta. Fettuccine was cooked well, and the flavours were rather subtle. However, the mushrooms and pancetta were cut so finely that the strong flavours of the mushroom and pancetta were lost within the dish at times. I love my mushrooms, and I do not want them finely cut! The warmth of the dish was uneven as well. While none of it was cold, heat consistency is key.


My fettuccine dish. I feel like the picture doesn't accurately depict the real portion size of the entree. It's in one of those soup bowl dishes. Despite this, $17 for an entree? Eek.


Rapper T's pappardelle dish. Again I feel like it doesn't accurately depict the real portion size of the main.


I didn't try Rapper T's dish, but he gave it a 6. While the tomato was a good addition to counteract the sausage, he ultimately found the dish heavy. While the sausage added flavour and texture, the pappardelle would've been bland without it apparently. The skin was left off the pork belly which is interesting considering the amount of flavour that you can obtain from the skin. (My comment, not his. Rapper T, do you agree?)


On a random note, one thing that I really appreciated was the extremely warm plates (my hands were cold, so an added bonus). Rapper T appreciated the amount of condiments we were given (which he rated five out of five due to five condiments that were provided to us).


Tiramisu. Yum. Lovely presentation.


Rapper T's peach and almond tart. Great presentation (although the drizzle of chocolate sauce doesn't really go with a peach tart...)


As for dessert, I ordered tiramisu ($12), and Rapper T ordered the "Torte di pesche" (Peach and Almond Tart with Vanilla Icecream, $14). The tiramisu was rich and creamy. Good tiramisu, but worth paying $12 for it? Questionable. Rapper T's tart was nice, but I found the pastry base a bit crumbly. While he enjoyed the tart, he didn't think the tart was worth $14. I agree. ("Very tarty," he commented. I unquestionably giggled for no reason with that comment).


Rapper T found the decor "homey", whereas I found the decor to resemble furniture that you would often see in a magazine catalogue. Freaked me out a bit. Our chairs were very comfortable though.


Overall verdict: Confused? While the food was good (not great), the prices were rather extravagant considering the portion size. Good service, although I can't help but wonder whether we would've gotten similar service had it been busier (apparently it is busier during the dinner service...I would hope so).


*I don't know if you've noticed, but I like saying something completely random at the beginning of my posts. It's a true reflection of who I am. Being random that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment