Monday, June 6, 2011

Murder Burger

92 days to go until my departure! Sounds like forever. Again, my blog on the Mecca eateries will be delayed until the next update. Once I procrastinate on writing about one place, the procrastination never ends. Heh. Actually, I just recently got an iPhone, therefore I am super excited that I don't have to carry a camera with me to take photos when I'm out and about. Some people look at me strangely when I'm taking photos of food and the flash pops up (...although some people look at my strangely, regardless of that fact). This update is dedicated to Murder Burger, a gourmet burger joint located on Ponsonby Road. With a name like that, it's bound to either frighten or entice you (or maybe neither?).

Murder Burger
128A Ponsonby Road, Auckland (located next to Mecca Cosmetics)


If you often look at "deal" websites, then you must've heard of Murder Burger. They have promoted the "$15 for 2 burger" deals at quite a few places. But this was actually my second visit to Murder Burger. The last time I ventured there was last year, in which I had ordered a seemingly normal sounding burger, which ended up being average. At the time, I didn't really have the guts to try out any of their "cult" burgers (sirloin steak angus, double beef and wild boar bacon, and venison). This time around I was more game (excuse the pun), though I was quite disappointed to see that they had removed the ostrich burger from the menu. That was the one that I really wanted to try, since it sounded pretty unorthodox.

In addition to the typical beef or chicken burgers you could order (they have an extensive menu with regards to beef or chicken burgers by the way), they have a couple of fish burgers, a couple of vegetarian burgers, the cult burgers that I mentioned above, and a breakfast burger available. They also had a new greek lamb burger on the menu, but it could have been a "special" burger (available for a limited time). They also had "Monkey Fist" burgers, which a smaller burgers catered towards the kids, and chicken wraps.


I ordered the gourmet venison burger ($14.90) and the steak fries – just a fancy term for thick cut chips, heh... ($3.20 for a regular size, $4.40 for a large size). You also receive a side dip of ketchup, with the cost of the dip integrated into the above prices I assume. I received the garlic mayo though, which was okay. That didn't really bother me. Although, I recall from my first visit last year that you could actually choose what sauce you wanted for your fries.


To make a comparison, the burger bun is similar in size compared to the bigger burgers at Burgerfuel. Okay maybe a wee bit smaller, but it's still a pretty big burger. Although for some weird reason, the whole venison burger was easier to eat in comparison to the big Burgerfuel ones. I somehow feel full after eating three-quarters of a Ford Freakout at Burgerfuel. But I think it could be due to the fact that Burgerfuel gives you an overloaded amount of lettuce, tomato and onion. The burger was tasty and fresh, yet it would have tasted even better if the bun was toasted (toasted sesame burger buns mmmm). I also think they could've added a tiny bit more sauce as well. The venison patty was delicious, didn't taste that gamey – excuse my eloquence – but was a bit on the thin side. Hmm. That could actually be the reason why I could eat it all, as opposed to the salad excuse (or maybe both?).

The steak fries were really good. I'm glad that they didn't overload the fries with lots and lots of salt (ahem, Burgerfuel I'm looking at you). My favourite kind of fry is the slightly chunkier/thicker version, which is what they provide.

My second visit was much improved compared to my first ever visit last year. In terms of gourmet burger joints in Auckland, it is a pretty good one. A few minor things that could be improved on, though. I really hope to try one of the other cult burgers before I go and see if my third visit is even better! Overall: service is pretty efficient, the menu has variety, and the food tastes good. Check it out.

On a final note... the cat slightly scares me.

Not one of my best blogs I'm afraid (....sorry). I tried to write it while I was trying to think of answers for this questionnaire that I have submit to the law school...sigh. My mind has been blank for the last hour.

1 comment:

  1. The packaging is very cute! For me, that street will always remind me about dogs/cats because I used to live behind a vet on that very street about 10 years ago :D

    That bun looks magnificent

    ReplyDelete